Saturday, April 6, 2013

ChanLan Hong / Happiness / Tuesday / 9 a.m

I do not think there is a single person out there in the world that would say he does not want to be happy. In fact, everyone is on his own path in pursuit of happiness. Some traveled long distances in search of happiness, but some found happiness right within themselves. "How can we be happy?" has always been a question raised by many philosophers since the ancient times. To each and every one of us, happiness come in different forms, it is personal. As for me, Happiness comes from within. Happiness can easily be achieved if we would just lower down our expectations, doing things we like doing and also having ability to let go.

            The statement, "The higher the expectation, the higher the disappointment" is what I hold strong to. That is why I always ground down my expectations towards people and myself. This is so when the outcome is not what I anticipated it to be, I will have the necessary strength to deal with the setbacks or the unfavorable outcomes. However, when things we least expect, turn out to be better, would that not be a whole new surprise to us and the happiness that we will experience is much more?

            In this contemporary world of rat race, today many of us are doing things for the sake of doing and not because we have the passion of doing. If that happens, obviously we cannot be happy. We are all born of different talents. When we do something we are not suited for, it makes our life miserable and we will spend our whole life thinking we are incapable and useless. It is like asking a fish to climb the tree when it is suppose to be a good swimmer. However, when we are able to do what we are good at and we enjoy it, admiration and appreciation we receive give us happiness and satisfaction that many of us have longed for.

            Lastly, which many of us struggle to overcome is, letting go. Imagine yourself holding an object with one hand (not in resting position). You may question, "What is so hard about it?" Try holding on continuously for another 5 minutes. Our hands feel heavy and eventually we will want to let it go. This applies in life. Any bad moments that we once faced, most of us tend to hold on to it and never want to let go. Holding on and thinking over that sad matter is not going to change anything. So why hold on to it? Let it go, and liberate ourselves from this agony. By that, we can have a happier life.

Aristotle said, "Happiness depends upon us" and I could not agree with him more. We are always given two options to choose. One, you let go and stay happy or two, you hold on to it and be miserable. Being happy is just that simple. Instead of pursuing happiness from the outside, try starting from within. As the saying goes, "Happiness is like a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond our grasp, but which, if you sit down quietly, may alight upon. 

4 comments:

  1. To Chan Lan Hong From Ju Hye Choi / Happiness

    1. What I like about this piece of writing is that the three points in the essay are supported with appropriate and interesting quotes and details. it was interesting!

    2. Your main point seems to be lowering down your expectations, doing things that you like to do, and having the ability to let go can achieve happiness.

    3. These particular words or lines struck me as powerful:

    a. However, when things we least expect, turn out to be better, would that not be a whole new surprise to us and the happiness that we will experience is much more? / a good point, something that many would agree.

    b. It is like asking a fish to climb the tree when it is suppose to be a good swimmer. / a great example!

    c. Try holding on continuously for another 5 minutes. Our hands feel heavy and eventually we will want to let it go. This applies in life. / It makes the readers feel what you are trying to say.

    4. The one change you could make that would make the biggest improvement in this piece of writing is maybe skim through your writing again and make sure all the paragraphs are indented and punctuated properly. Overall, it was a pleasure to read.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FROM YUNSEO LO.
    Your essay is so great and very interesting!!
    The introduction includes a general thesis about the happiness and the causes of it.
    As you use a lot of examples and your cases, it makes the readers understand easily the story of yours. And the causes of happiness explain in logical way well.
    But as the professor said in the last class, you can’t use ‘I’ in your essay except your last paragraph. So you change the word ‘I’ to ‘person’.
    Furthermore, I think your hook is too general. So if you change your hook that is more interesting, your essay is much better than this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Draft 2 (part 1)


    All of us have been constantly chasing after Happiness. We were often being told “Don’t worry. Be happy.” Exactly what is Happiness? How do we even know if we are in the state of Happiness? When I was 4 years old, I am very sure I was happy when I granny cooked me fried chicken, or when my dad bought me the latest Barbie doll. However, as I grow up, these no longer makes me happy. Thus, I tried searching for Happiness too like most people do. Many are on their path in pursuit of happiness, so as I. I have seen people traveling long distances in search of happiness, but for some, they found happiness right within themselves. To each and every one of us, happiness come in different forms, it is personal. As I am growing older, through experiences and hardships, I realize Happiness comes from within. Happiness can easily be achieved if we would just lower down our expectations, doing things we like doing and also able to let go.

    

 “Aim high!! I am expecting you to score 90,” said dad. Ever since I started my early education, I have been constantly told to aim high. Only with bigger goals will we improve ourselves. I have experienced that and it is not at all true. When I received my results, which was 75, my dad was so disappointed that he refused to talk to me. That was what I always described as “Cold War”. I too, was indeed in my greatest depression and I lost the motivation to study. I learned my lesson. That is why the statement, "The higher the expectation, the higher the disappointment" is what I hold strong to. I always ground down my expectations towards people and myself. This is so when the outcome is not what I anticipated it to be, I will have the necessary strength to deal with the setbacks or the unfavorable outcomes. However, when things we least expect, turn out to be better, would that not be a whole new surprise to us and the happiness that we will experience is much more?



    ReplyDelete
  4. Draft 2 (part 2)


    In this contemporary world of rat race, today many of us are doing things for the sake of doing and not because we have the passion of doing. If that happens, obviously we cannot be happy. We are all born of different talents. When we do something we are not suited for, it makes our life miserable and we will spend our whole life thinking we are incapable and useless. It is like asking a fish to climb the tree when it is suppose to be a good swimmer. Like how my dad encouraged me to take up science classes, which I knew best that I will not make it even to the border line during examinations. Dad discouraged me to take any business related subjects. I fully hated science but was totally in love with economics. For science stream students, we did have basic introductory classes for business subjects. And as expected, I failed my science subjects and scored distinction for my Economy subject. The point here is, when we are able to do what we are good at and we enjoy it, admiration and appreciation we receive give us happiness and satisfaction that many of us have longed for. 



    Lastly, which many of us struggle to overcome is, letting go. Be it a divorce, an argument or an accusation for something you have not done, many of us hold on to grudges and without any proper apologies we will not let go of the matter. Why are we punishing ourselves that way? Let me share an idea with you. Imagine yourself holding an object with one hand (not in resting position). You may question, "What is so hard about it?" Try holding on continuously for another 5 minutes. Our hands feel heavy and eventually we will want to let it go. This applies in our life too. Any bad moments that we once faced, most of us tend to hold on to it and never want to let go. Holding on and thinking over that sad matter is not going to change anything. So why hold on to it? Let it go, and let us liberate ourselves from this agony. By that, we can have a happier life. 



    The great philosopher, Aristotle said, "Happiness depends upon us" and I could not agree with him more. We are always given two options to choose. One, you let go and stay happy or two, you hold on to it and be miserable. Being happy is just that simple. Instead of pursuing happiness from the outside, try starting from within. As the saying goes, "Happiness is like a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond our grasp, but which, if you sit down quietly, may alight upon. The aforementioned points can be a good starting point for anyone of us who seeks for happiness.

    ReplyDelete