Saturday, March 30, 2013

Kayeong Kim / Process Essay / Tues 9 a.m.

 The ‘TGV’ as known for student play club of French department in HUFS was closed because they failed recruit new members. It might have several reasons, but I guess the main reason was there’s no one who want be an actor in a regular performance. It makes us feel embarrassed when we are in front of others, especially playing an act since we think it as unnatural. Everyone wants to be a heroine once in a life, but few people could achieve it. The stage was too scary for me at that time. If I could get some position in the play or concert, I wouldn’t hesitate anymore. To get an awesome opportunity for that, I am writing 3 steps when I will follow to be a real heroine of the performance.

 First, when I am selected as a actor in a play, I will search through the internet whether there are performance, movie or opera related to that story. Since most of the students’ plays tend to follow popular works in Korea or the origin country, I am sure there will be at least one performance which is ongoing at that time. It would help me understand the main stream of the story and their great performance will motivate me to being a better person like them. If there’s no ongoing performance, I will search Youtube channel to watch a video. And then, for excellence understanding of the piece, I will read a book at any cost. While reading a book, I could imagine scenery by myself and create special part which could be my unique point during the work.

 Second, I will have much time to become intimate with colleagues. In my perspective, teamwork is the most important thing to do something together. And to get a great teamwork, I need to know the person individually. Eating delicious food, going to shopping and talking with them would enhance me to understand people in person. Or I could do the things I mentioned before – it might be getting two birds with one stone! In my opinion, building concrete relationship is essential to achieve a work together. It would take much time than doing alone, but there’s ancient Indian saying, ‘If you want to go faster, go alone. If you want to go further, go together.’

 Lastly, it is up to me with two previous things combined together. I know it very well that practice makes perfect. However, in most cases, it’s easier said than done. That’s why I write this thing here not to forget my willingness later. When Steve Jobs delivered introduction session of Apple’s new devices, he said he practiced more than dozens of times. He even checked his moving line, the lights and gesture. He wasn’t talented person to deliver presentations – maybe he was a little bit better than me, but the important thing is to prepare till you satisfied your performance. Moreover, during the practice, I would feel I become a person in a script. I will eat as she is described in a script, I will perform as she is alive in a real life. I will absorb every characteristic that she has in a script through tireless practice.

 Those 3 steps are very useful tips in acting a play. While writing those three steps, I realized how preparation is important in everything we face. While preparation, I will start with small or easy things that I can deal with fast. And then I withstand long journey to a real stage. If there’s one change for me to perform a play, I am sure I will choose to take it, and enjoy it. Even after graduation, I heard there are some clubs for workers and still I have an opportunity! I added one more in my bucket list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment