Friday, March 22, 2013

Lo Yun Seo(노윤서)/assignment : A special holiday/tuesday_9-11am

   Have you ever seen a womanwho washes her hair with water infused with sweet flags? You can see such ashocking spectacle on the day of Danho, in Korea. Danho is a one of the mostsignificant holidays in Korea, and in the holiday, women wash their hair inwater boiled with sweet flag, because they believe not only does it make theirhair shiny but also it is talismanic. My family makes lots of meaningfulexperiences enjoying the Danho's day.

   As soon as morning comes in the holiday, myfamily members always wash our hair in water boiled with Sweet Flag. For this,I have to go to street markets in early morning to buy iris that is used tomake infused with sweet flags. Korean people believe that it can defeat badluck and    it can remove the ghostsaround them. And people believe after the activity, we can spend summer withoutsuffering from hot weather.

After that, wego to Gangneung to see the annual Gangneung Gwanno Mask Drama. It is a Koreantraditional performance that is performed by government officials. In thisfestival, Not only does my family enjoy the performance, we also take the partin dancing and striking a Jing with other people. Furthermore we sing a regional traditional song together.

When we back my home after finish thefestival, my father prepares some drinks that are the day of danho's traditionalbeverages, such as "salad of cherry", "the water of Jeho".In danho's day my family does not prepare traditional foods unlike otherfamilies, because it is hard to make the holiday's food. So, my family justdrinks "salad of cherry", "the water of Jeho", only tomake us cool down and feel the holiday's experiences, for it is very easy tomake drinks compared to cooking.

The holidaygives my family a variety of experiences because we can do many things suchlike washing our hair in sweet flag water, seeing the annual Gangneung GwannoMask Drama and drinking the holiday's traditional drinks in the holiday. lf youwant to learn about the holiday, you don't have to search it. Just come at myhome that day If you want to. Then I and my family teach you all about Danho withpractical experiences.

3 comments:

  1. Well done !! I would definitely want to experience it together with you one day. Do invite me ^^

    Good essay. Just be careful of your spacing. There are a lot of words where you missed "space". Might confuse the readers.

    Also, do explain what sweet flag is. Some spelling as well. Based on how you wrote this, I think this must be one of the festival I cannot missed during my stay here. Thank you for introducing it.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. You described fading traditional holiday in Korea! The topic is your strength. It is unusal topic, so it caught my eye at a glance.

    2. Your main point seems to introduce Korean Special holiday, Dahno. You added your personal experience with family - which made me feel i am also in that day together.

    3. You used well in transition experssions for coherence. It was very comfortable to read with flow.

    4. There are lots of unspaced between two words. How about reviewing after writing 1st draft of the essay? It's minor error so you could fix it easily.

    5. Thank you for interesting essay. I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever seen a woman who washes her hair with water infused with sweet flags? You can see such a shocking spectacle on the day of Danho, in Korea. Danho is a one of the most significant holidays in Korea, and in the holiday, women wash their hair in water boiled with sweet flag that is scented leaves commonly known as a calamus, because they believe not only does it make their hair shiny but also it is talismanic. My family makes lots of meaningful experiences enjoying the Danho’s day.
    As soon as morning comes in the holiday, my family members always wash our hair in boiled water with Sweet Flag. For this, I have to go to street stores in early morning to buy iris that is used to make infused with sweet flags. Korean people believe that it can defeat bad luck and it can remove the ghosts around them. And people believe after the activity,we can spend summer without suffering from hot weather.
    After that, we go to Gangneung to see the annual Gangneung Gwanno Mask Drama. It is a Korean traditional performance that is performed by government officials. In this festival, Not only does my family enjoy the performance, we also take the part in dancing and striking a Jing delightfully with other people. Furthermore we sing a regional traditional song together.
    When we back my home after finish the festival, my father prepares some drinks that are the day of danho’s traditional beverages, such as “salad of cherry”, “the water of Jeho”. In danho’s day my family does not prepare traditional foods unlike other families, because it is hard to make the holiday’s food. So, my family just drinks “salad of cherry”, “the water of jeho”, only to make us cool down and feel the holiday’s experiences, for it is very easy to make drinks compared to cooking.
    The holiday gives my family a variety of experiences because we can do many things such like washing our hair in sweet flag water, seeing the annual Gangneung Gwanno Mask Drama and drinking the holiday’s traditional drinks in the holiday. lf you want to learn about the holiday, you don’t have to search it. Just come at my home that day If you want to. Then I and my family teach you all about Danho with practical experiences.

    ReplyDelete